Monday, November 2, 2009

Is it ever going to be enough?

Ever feel like your satisfaction is insatiable? That each time you accomplish something, it just leaves you wanting more?

That's how I feel about running. Each time I meet a time goal or get a new PR (personal record), I feel good about it for a couple hours, a day or two at the most. And then I start wanting more. Maybe I'll hear about a fellow pace group runner's better time and feel inadequate. Or I'll see people who have survived cancer or a car crash and then go on to do an Ironman and think if they can do it, I can too. And this leaves me wondering when, if ever, will I ever be satisfied and have had enough?

When I initially planned for my first marathon, I came into it with a simple goal: to finish and be able to run the whole course. I did not have a target time when training. I did not know a thing about pacing. I simply ran to cover the distance. However, when marathon day came, I wanted more than to just finish. I wanted to finish under 5 hours and even pushed myself for under 4:30.

While I was quite pleased with my Frederick performance, I already wanted more for Baltimore. In a runner's world, breaking 4 hours classifies you as a serious runner. Most of us recreational runners strive for a sub 4 hour performance. I endured quite a bit of pain to get under 4 hours for Baltimore. A couple hours later, I realized how close I was to breaking my ex's marathon time of 3:53 and all of a sudden, 3:58 wasn't good enough for me anymore.

I had signed up for the Marine Corps Marathon with the intention of it being a training run for JFK and to be a fun run with fellow FTM members. I was only kidding myself. Although getting sick after Baltimore made me realize breaking 3:53 was not possible, I put just about as much heart into that race as I did for Baltimore, with the intention of PR-ing, which eventually turned into a goal of just breaking 4 hours again, and at mile 25.5, when I realized that 2 weeks wasn't enough to get over the fatigue from Baltimore, turned into aiming for under 4:05.

However, my two fall marathon performances left me wanting a lot more. It left me seeing the potential for qualifying for Boston, an under 3:40 marathon time requirement for me. Now if breaking 4 hours makes you a serious runner, qualifying for Boston makes you a badass runner! Although I feel that I can eventually break 3:40 and make Boston, does it stop there? Or will I keep wanting to improve my time?

I signed up for JFK because I wanted to prove to myself that I could do more than a marathon. While breaking time goals has been a challenge of speed, running an ultra-marathon will be the ultimate test of endurance. So in the same respect, will I quit with this one 50 miler or am I going to want more? Each time I come across someone crazier than me, I think I'm not all that crazy and want to match their level of insanity.

Right now, all I know is that I want JFK, I want Boston, and I want to complete a full Ironman. However, if you asked me one year ago, I would've told you all I wanted was to simply complete a marathon, not three.

5 comments:

  1. Just to keep things in perspective, they have 100 miler races, and there are people that do double and triple ironman. There's also the Ultraman challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Hai D. Nguyen,

    You douche! Stop planting seeds in my head.

    Sincerely,
    Amanda T. An

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Sister,
    You're crazy. I really thing you have a psyc issue =)


    Sincerely,
    Concerned older sister.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It will probably never be enough, at least until you find the next thing to obsess over. You've got the drive, the will, and the passion....why not right?

    ReplyDelete