Sunday, February 14, 2010

Perfectly Lonely

I am in no way John Mayer's #1 fan. In fact, I usually find his music/concerts too mellow for my mood and let's not even talk about his fixture in the tabloids. However, I will admit that John Mayer is an excellent songwriter. He has a talent of stringing a few, simple words together that expresses so clearly everything you've been feeling but couldn't find the words to describe.

For example, when I went through a rough breakup in 2006, his song "The Heart of Life" told me:

Pain throws your heart to the ground
Love turns the whole thing around
No, it won't all go the way it should
But I know the heart of life is good

Three and a half years later, John Mayer once again so clearly expresses my current sentiments on love:

Nothing to do
Nowhere to be
A simple little a kind of free
Nothing to do
No one but me
And that's is all I need

I'm perfectly lonely
I'm perfectly lonely
I'm perfectly lonely (Yeah)
'Cause I don't belong to anyone
And nobody belongs to me

...

And this is not to say
There never comes a day
I'll take my chances and start again
And when I look behind
On all my younger times
I have to thank the wrongs that led me to a love so strong



Michael Buble also does a fine job of expressing my sentiments on love in his song, "Haven't Met You Yet":

1 comment: