Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Count Your Blessings

Nashville was hit with devastating floods. Oklahoma with tornadoes. Arizona with dust storms. All the places that we passed through on our cross-country road trip. Our 5-day drive through these cities/states consisted of sunshine, absolutely no rain, and no traffic save for 30 min through Tennessee because of road work. I don't think we could have gotten any luckier... My heart goes out to those who are suffering from Mother Nature's wrath.

Also, I think I am the only person who can actually say getting laid off turned out good for me. Although I've been working full time for the past year and a half, I am in a casual position with no benefits. They've been trying to get me on a full time position and was finally able to push the grant through by telling the sponsor they were letting me go unless the funds came through to support me in the new position. With the department low on funds, all of the laboratory workers were laid off and I am the only one that has a position lined up after our last day because it requires a Bachelor's degree, which the others don't have. In addition to that, my hours were cut back in May to 3 days/week. Although it sucks to have my pay get cut, I am very much welcoming the much-needed break from the normal work routine before finally officially starting on full time in June.

4 comments:

  1. Tien,
    I am a strong believer that no matter what life brings you, it will always work out in the end. In your case, this is very true. Congrats on the FT position in June~

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, that's pretty lucky -- both the road trip and your job. Lucky you already have another one lined up, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's nice to get a 4 day break :) And the tornado missed johns work by maybe 2 miles! The batting cage place we go to was torn up. It's still standing, but the roof is a mess and the fences are all twisted and broken. We were genuinely scared b/c we had no idea what to expect!! Sirens went off and I'm stuck in a thunderstorm in 5pm traffic with the radios telling us to "get to shelter immediately!" !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow that sounds like such a scary experience! Glad you guys are safe!
    I forgot to mention that SD has also been getting earthquakes, but Vi slept right through them so they must've not been that bad. What is up with Mother Nature this year? Freak snowstorms, tornadoes, earthquakes,...

    ReplyDelete