Saturday, October 30, 2010

A Tribute to Dia Oi

I've been an emotional train wreck for the past few weeks. Things have just unfolded so quickly that I've barely had the chance to catch my breath and come to terms with reality. I've had such a hard time with this that I thought, although this is something extremely personal, maybe openly writing down my memories about how much my aunt meant to me and getting my feelings out might help me deal with this loss. This post is dedicated to Dia Oi:

From the moment I was born, I was put in the care of Dia Oi as my parents worked long and hard hours to make ends meet. Even when I started school, I was there before and after school and all throughout the summer. I remember all the times I spent with my cousins there and how the basement was converted into a playroom for us. I remember how my sister and I used to steal the Disney band-aids from her upstairs bathroom and she would never say anything and just buy us more. And of course, I will never forget our trips to the Dorsey's
Search Village Center across the street. I loved when she took us to Giant to buy a French baguette because she would always let me buy my favorite candy bar and sometimes gave me coins for the toy machines. I particularly remember one time when she babysat my cousins Amy, Nancy, and Sandy and saw how much we were enjoying the 10 cent bouncy balls and exchanged several more dollars to let us get more and didn't even yell at us when we bounced them all over her house. Other times, she would take us to Party! Party! Party! or the ever-changing fast-food joint at the end of the village center, which changed from Hardee's to Roy Rogers to McDonald's through the course of my childhood. Even with her limited English, she was never afraid to take us out. She'd even shake her head at the cashier to tell them they miscalculated her change at Giant and figured out the Howard County Transit bus system, so she could find her own means to go to the Columbia Mall. I remember randomly running into her at the mall a couple times and wondering how the heck she got herself there because I sure as hell didn't know how to use the Howard County Transit (and still don't)!

As we got older and no longer needed babysitting, Dia Oi would keep in touch with us by occasionally inviting us out to eat at places like Pizza Hut, Bertucci's, Olive Garden, Cheesecake Factory, and sushi. She didn't even like those places and hardly ever ate anything there but never complained because she just wanted to spend time with us. Often times, she didn't even say much and just sat back and watched us cousins converse with each other. Dia Oi was a woman of few words, but don't ever let that fool you. It may have looked like she wasn’t engaged in the conversation, but that’s because she was too busy observing. She had an amazing memory and always knew what everyone liked to eat and drink at any restaurant.

Over the last few years, my mom started inviting her and Dia My over for dinner on Sundays and/or Mondays. I remember coming home from work and seeing her Old Navy flip flops at the door and smiling as I walked inside. She knew that my sister, dad, and I liked to drink diet soda and often came with a can for each of us. It was her attention to detail and all the little things she did that meant so much and were so special to me. And I knew quite a bit about Dia Oi myself. I knew she always wanted the right side back seat of the car, which is also my favorite spot. Whenever we picked Dia Oi up to go somewhere, I always joked with my parents that "Awww man, I had to give up my spot but would only willingly give it up for her because I would do anything for Dia Oi." I always thought it was odd how enthusiastic and willing I was to pick her up and take her home from anywhere. But now that I think of it, there are very few people in this world that you can say have never once pissed you off. I can say that about Dia Oi because she has never been anything but caring and loving towards me. I always felt a special sort of bond with her that no one in the world could ever replace. She was my second mother.

This summer, I was lucky to be able to spend a lot of quality one-on-one time with her, as I worked part-time for a brief period and helped my mom and aunts out by taking her to a few doctor appointments. I remember one specific time when my mom had her own doctor appointment and we were waiting for her to finish, so we could meet up for lunch. She asked me to take her to Walmart to waste time, specifically requesting the
Ellicott City location even though we were in Catonsville at the time because the Catonsville one was no good according to her. As soon as we got inside, she told me to look around wherever I wanted and that she'd find me later. I decided to buy another pair of leggings and when she came back to me with two packages of Ramen, she grabbed the leggings and insisted on buying them for me. I briefly fought her for a moment but gave in to her, knowing it made her happy to be able to do something for me. She then proceeded to ask me why I was buying such tight, ugly pants, to which I tried to explain the concept of leggings to her. She still didn't understand my fashion sense and just shoved money in my hand and told me to get her chicken McNuggets, one of her favorite foods. Later that day, when she was leaving my house to go home, she pulled the crinkled Walmart receipt out of her pocket and handed it to me, saying in Vietnamese, "Here. In case the pants are too tight."

Seeing her deteriorating health condition over the recent months has been one of the hardest things I've ever had to endure, especially when she was hospitalized. Her mind was still as sharp as ever, casually asking me if I had worked today every time I came in to visit her. Us kids would joke with her, asking her when she was going to take us to Pizza Hut and she would just honestly answer that she wasn't healthy enough. Her body was failing her in every way possible and I felt so helpless. I found myself just wanting to spend more and more time with her. We didn't exchange many words, but I felt so comfortable just sitting there and being with her. I fell into a routine of work, hospital, and sleep. I dragged myself to work everyday wanting nothing more than to leave and be by her side. I had such a hard time pulling myself from the hospital room, scared that every time I said bye to her, it would be the last time I'd see her. I held my breath every time I answered the phone from my mom or aunts. I tried very hard to hold it together when I was with her because I knew it would make her sad to see me crying over her. But I cried myself to sleep every night, knowing I was losing her to that evil "c" word and wondering why she doesn't get to live another 20 years into her 80's like both of my grandmothers. She always hated taking pictures and would swat us kids away when we tried to snap a pic with her. In February at Vi's going away party, a few of my cousins and I subjected her to photos and for once, she complied. It kills me to look at those photos and know it was only 8 short months ago. Even passing the hospital yesterday brought on an outburst of tears. All I wanna do is sit by her side again.

My cousin put into words so well something I've been feeling all along: "Even though Dia Oi and I never said 'I love you,' we knew that when we said goodbye to each other, that 'goodbye' really meant 'I love you.'" When everyone got a chance to say their final goobyes to Dia Oi before they took her away, most of them brought up a couple memories or thanked her for her presence in their lives. All I could muster was "Bye Dia Oi."

Dia Oi, I love and miss you so much! You mean the world over to me.


4 comments:

  1. It's sad that she had to leave us so early, but she will give grandma good company :)

    I remember that she never mixed up any of our names and faces--well I guess it doesn't apply to me as much seeing that I was the only male child on your dad's side lol, but with everyone else she knew

    That, and, she always told us to eat more and more..and you know we love food!

    She will certainly be missed

    ReplyDelete
  2. btw, cute outfit in the picture lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. She will truly be missed. I didn't know what to say to you guys earlier because it all seemed so sudden. I didn't know she was having health problems. I felt find just sitting there quietly thinking about her, but when I tried to open my mouth to say something, I could feel a big knot in my throat and my eyes start to tear.

    You're right about her sharp memory. It always amazed me how she remembered my name. It's not like I saw her often, but she never mixed me up with Amy or Sandy. And when I'd see her over your house, she'd say "Phuong, Hoa dau?" hahaha! and I'd be like "oh, she's working..."

    It always made me happy that she remembered us, and it always surprised me that she did because there were so many of us. And we only saw her a handful of times a year.

    Your stories about your time with Dia Oi is a great tribute to her and keeping her memories alive. I especially remember those bouncy balls! That must have been the reason why I started collecting dimes! I still collect them to this day. I must have a couple hundred dollars worth of dimes. Imagine all the bouncy balls we could buy! I'll miss her!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a wonderful tribute to The Oister! Your stories made me cry, laugh, smile, and broke my heart all at the same time. I've been an emotional train wreck the past month as well and I'm glad I was able to come home to pay my last respects to her.

    I remember that time we went and got all those bouncy balls! And all those dimes she gave us! hahaha That's a great memory. We still have that bag of balls!

    I remember how she would always invite us out to eat. Now when I think back to those times when we were too busy to go, it breaks my heart. I would give anything to give just one more day with her.

    I wish I could have been around this past summer to be with her and during her last days.

    RIP Dia Oi, I love you.

    ReplyDelete